Monday, December 28, 2009

She Works Hard For The Money

This morning I posted an ad on Craigslist making myself available as a "Part-Time Personal Assistant". I'm trying to transition out of my current job of waiting tables, or at the very least just make some extra cash. I've already gotten a response. It reads "Please send me your resume and a picture". Uuuuummmmm.....no. Why do they need to see my picture? And how about letting me know what sort of job you have in mind? When a person (and of course it was a man) responds with such a request, it makes you think that you may have a good idea EXACTLY what kind of job they have in mind. Ewe!

Am I just a paranoid freak? Have a I seen too many movies? I hate to turn down legitimate work, but I have no intention of sending the stranger a photo of myself so they can whack it. So what do I say? I'm pretty sure I'm just going to ignore it. The sorts of responses I was thinking I would get would be from overworked Mom's who need help doing odds and ends and would read something like this: "I have a dinner party on the 9th and could use some extra help running errands, setting up, etc.). Please let me know if you are available for this date." I made it clear that this was a project to project sort of business, so...yeah, this is sort of what I thought would be coming my way. Not so much.

****(a few hours later)*****

Oy vey. Okay, so I've gotten another bite on my craigslist post and the money is pretty darn good, but the job sounds boring and like it would take up too much time. This person wants to pay me $25 per hour plus mileage to drive around town for 3 hours a day picking up lawsuits from courthouses. Problem is, it's 3 days a week, possibly more. That's almost like having another full-time job as far as I'm concerned. Jeez. Am I being stupid about this? Too picky? I mean, money's money right? But I don't know, I think when the right thing comes along I will know. Somehow I don't think this is the job for me.

I also posted another ad offering to proofread and edit screenplays for writers who have English as their second language. THAT job sounds super fun cause, hello, it's reading scripts. There's no better way to get really good at writing them than reading them, plus, I can charge whatever I want. I posted $100 per script as my starting fee. How come nobody is responding to that post?

Sometimes I feel like having more money will solve all of my problems, but when the prospect of actually WORKING for that money arises, then I'm not sure if it's even worth it. I mean, I work part-time as it is, so you'd think I could handle tackling another 9 hours per week, but when I try to see myself actually doing that, the days begin to look crowded and like I won't have any time for myself. See, here's the thing...when you're scraping by, in order to make enough money to have EXTRA, you have to work more and when you work more, then you have less free time and then it's like...well, what's the point of having the extra money if I can't enjoy spending any of it? But maybe that's just cultural, or just the way I was raised or something. I should LEAP at the chance to make some extra cash and I should save every last red penny because, let's face it, I'm not getting any younger. And I have no savings, no 401k, no nothin' to retire on. And, yeah, I'm young....now, but I won't be young forever and if I don't start planning for the future, when will I? Ugh, maybe I should email this guy back...

WHY WASN'T I BORN RICH?!?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment