Friday, June 25, 2010

London Calling

Day 11

“As long as I gaze at Waterloo Sunset, I am in Paradise”~The Kinks

Well, nothing could have prepared me for London.  I am truly, madly, deeply in love.  That isn’t to say that Paris isn’t incredible, but something about London is speaking to me.  Maybe it’s that I can speak the language, maybe it’s those beautiful accents, maybe it’s the street fashion on the kids, maybe it’s the crowds of people spilling out into the street from each pub, or maybe it’s that “Disneyland for adults” feeling.  Whatever it is, I am not going to be satisfied with two days.  In addition to my vacation coming to an end, I will be broken hearted about leaving this place especially.

I am so tired as I write this that I almost passed out in the tube coming “home”.  I slept in the airport leaving Barcelona, and slept off and on on the plane ride here.  If London wanted to know I was in love with it, it wouldn’t be able to tell from my demeanor.  But, I assure you LDN, you are my new flame.

We are staying in North Afton which is a 10 minute tube ride from Central London (and from what I can see is a pretty crappy part of town, but I haven’t really seen it, so I can’t say for sure).  We decided to check out Covent Garden at the suggestion of our concierge as night was falling upon us and we wanted to catch the flavor of the night life.  Before we hopped back on the tube, we made a stop at Tesco for a snack.  I hate to say it, but my first London meal came out of three packages: 1) Egg Salad Sandwich, 2) Sun Chips, 3) Apple Juice.  It was 6pm and I had only had an apple and a banana, so…I was desperate.

The energy in Covent Garden is amazing.  There are crowds of people everywhere, you almost have to walk in the street because the sidewalks are so crowded.  I love that.  In LA there’s no one on the sidewalk…except the bums.  The street performers are hilarious, the buildings each have a unique character of there own, and the people are full of life.  I’ve noticed that on the whole trip.  The people.  I’m getting emotional even typing that.  I wish I could stay long enough to get to know them.  I will be back.

We started to search out an Indian estaurant and ended up in the Theatre District in the West End.  So…we popped in and saw Avenue Q.  It was soooooo good.  Two thumbs up.  It was so spontaneous and exciting to go into this amazing old theatre (Wyndhams Theatre--something you would see in a period piece), and watch a hit show just on the fly.  We got an amazing deal (25 pounds each), and great seats because the show was starting in 7 minutes.  Ha!

After the show, we had dinner in (Starts with an L---sorry, so tired) Square and then walked through Soho (The Gay Part) and then came back to the hotel.  And here I am.  Waking up tomorrow will be like waking up on Christmas morning. 

I can’t wait to unwrap my gifts.  


P.S.  Long live the Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment