Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tres Bueno

That's "tres" as in "very"~french, and "bueno" as in "good"~spainish...it's weird to wake up in one country and go to bed in another...especially when neither of them are yours...


Day 8


Due to the fact that they almost didn't let us on the plane to BarTHelona, my brother and I have decided to FedEx a bunch of our crap back to the states.  We are THOSE people.  You know, the fat, lazy, greedy, over-consumptive Americans?  Yeah, that's us.  With luggage too big to meet the weight limits and the entitlement to think we "needed" to haul all of our junk to Europe with us.  Well, I REFUSE to ever be one of THOSE people ever again.  It's gross.  I don't want to be gross, I want to be Grace.

We did something today that I would normally frown upon.  We did pretty much the same exact thing two days in a row.  We couldn't help it.  The gardens around the Matisse Museum were too beautiful, too peaceful, and too French.  We had to nap in them.  Sue us.  So yeah, we hiked all up through Nice today, taking pretty much the same route we took the day before.  The only difference is, we didn't stop at the Chagall and Matisse Museums again.  They are both incredible and Matisse was already my very favorite artist, due to something about those red rooms.  I don't know what it is, but I love them.  Well, now Chagall is up there too.  I was already a fan (the piece with the man floating over the woman and kissing her as though he flew in through the window to do just that---sorry, don't know the name of it), but now I am a super fan.  Anyway, we hiked to the gardens, my brother fed the pigeons...by throwing bread near my head and laughing as they disturbed my reading...I'm lucky I didn't get pooped on, and then we walked back to old town where we had dinner and then went back to that same insane ice cream shop.  This time I opted for Blackberry Sorbet and Pistachio Gelato.  Tres Bien!!!

Now we are in Barcelona and not much has happened yet, except that our hotel room is WAY nice and we actually have a tub.  I CANNOT wait to take a bath!  Our showers in France were teeny tiny.

Buenos Noches!

Day 9


Maybe I don't want to get married after all.  It's not too much fun having no guys check you out.  This is what is happening because everyone thinks my brother and I are married.  In LA this isn't a problem because my brother looks gay there, even though he isn't flamboyant or anything, you can just kinda tell. Plus, since everyone in America is used to our American faces, they can tell by looking at us that we are related.  Here, we are a little unfamiliar, so I don't think people see the resemblance right away, you know, how like some people think that all asians or all blacks look alike?...well, like that.  Also, you cannot tell the gays from the straights here at ALL.  Not just in Barcelona, but anywhere we've been.  All Europeans look a little gay.  I'm not saying that in a bad way, I'm just sayin...it's hard to tell.  Even my gay brother even thinks so.

So, the typical scenario that has been happening is this:  We are walking down the street, we spot a cute guy, we both start oggling him to death, the cute guy looks at us, can't figure out what the hell is going on and just keeps on walking.  Maybe everyone thinks we are swingers and we just haven't run across any cute guys who are into that.

Whatever the deal is, it sucks.  Not that it's ruining the trip or anything, but before I left, a lot of people kept saying "oooh, you are going to meet a cute French boy", or "oooooh, you are going to have a little romance on your vacation", or "ooooh, you are totally going to meet someone and fall in love", and I assured everyone that none of those scenarios was going to be very likely considering I was traveling with a man, and it turns out I was right.  I kinda hoped it was going to turn out that I didn't know what I was talking about.  Ho hum.  It is a little bit of a bummer.  Especially when there is an unbelievably attractive man around just about every corner.  And it's even worse now that we've been to the beach. Dios Mio!  Hay Caramba!  It was painful to the point of almost bringing me to tears.  I had to pay some asian woman five euros to rub my shoulders for a few minutes just so I didn't feel like a leper.  So now on top of nobody paying any attention to me, I'm going to have to deal with everyone bugging me about the fact that I haven't seen any action this entire trip.

"Constant craving has always been"~K.D. Lang

P.S. The Picasso Museum was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment