Monday, June 21, 2010

Vacation's All I Ever Wanted

"...vacation, had to get away!"~The Go Go's


Day 7


All toilet paper in France is pink.  The French know how to make anything look beautiful.  Why is it that so many people smell though?  Hmmm...

When you get to Nice, go to old town and find the stand that sells the wooden brain teasers.  Here you will meet Ben.  You will never need to meet anyone else.  (Sigh)  Unfortunately, Ben is under the same assumption as everyone else:  That my brother and I are a happy couple.  Must remember Ben and come back and find him some day...

Traveling in European cities requires a lot of walking.  Unless you are really lazy and don't want to experience anything cool, then you can take a cab like a dumbass American tourist.  Okay, so the walking.  You do a lot of it.  Like...a lot.  Like more than you ever thought you were capable of.  So, I suggest bringing an entire box of bandages for your feet.  I brought about 15 individual bandages knowing that I am prone to blisters...well, it ain't gonna be enough.  I've already used six and I had to remove them all this evening for fear that if I left the same ones on for another day that they might fuse to my feet and I may never be able to remove them.  I am bordering on crippled and I am in pretty great shape due to my intensive yoga training.  I would hate to see how miserable I would be if this weren't the case.  The upside is that I don't have to feel guilty that I haven't been working out and that I've been eating like a total pig.

Nice has this awesome ice cream shop in old town that features 96 different flavors of gelatos and sorbets.  Flavors include: Tirimisu, Pina Colada, Lavendar, Watermelon, Avocado, Thyme, Jasmine, Beer, Cactus, Coca Cola, and Violet just to name a few.  We ate there twice today.  It's on the agenda for tomorrow as well.  I mean...we have to try as many of them as possible before we leave, right?  Yeah, I think it's pretty much our duty.

My brother and I were wondering what the harm would be if we brought the lifestyle of Nice to the states?  What's so wrong with having music and dancing in the streets?  Along with drinking in public, and an age 16 drinking age.  It seems to be working for these people.  We haven't seen one fight, or been bothered by anyone beligerent.  And this isn't just in Nice.  In Paris, our hotel was located on a canal and each night people from their young teens through their 50's and 60's would be sitting alone the edge with their bottles of wine, baguettes and cheese just chatting and smoking and peacefully enjoying themselves.  You would NEVER see something like that back home.  And that's just a shame.  A crying freaking shame.  Yesterday we were eating at a restaurant and a group of people came in on their rollerblades and had lunch.  Not on a patio...INSIDE the restaurant!  No problem, no fuss.  Animals too, right inside.  What is it with us American's and our INSANE need to control everything and everybody?

We really need to get over ourselves.

Well, it's getting late and I need enough sleep to repair the damage that's being done to my feet.

Bonsoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment